Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 4

This week, I went with one of my old favorites; Sulk by Radiohead. It's from their second release, The Bends. This record was my first exposure to the band. After one listen, I was hooked. Thom Yorke's vocal range was right down my alley. The dynamics of their sound spoke loudly to me. From a spacious wall of sound one moment, to soft and quiet; sometimes, all in the same song. The first time I popped this record into my cd player, I was but a rookie guitarist. It broadened my horizons, drastically. It challenged me to scrutinize my song compositions and melodies. It made me take a step back to look at the broader musical picture. To this day, it is one of my favorite records. 

Back in the day, when I played acoustic sets for One Amazin' Kid, this was one of my go-to cover songs. I often played solo, so I filled in the guitar lead with vocals. Kind of different, maybe. I don't know. I will let you be the judge. Let me know what you think.  

Enjoy, 

Christopher

     Recorded late in the evening on January 23, 2012. I still had the remainder of a gruesome cold. You can hear it in my voice. I apologize for that.
      "Sulk," written by Greenwood, Greenwood, OBrien, Selway, Yorke.

3 comments:

  1. These are all so good! I have a request! Leeland...Tears from the Saints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need a good drummer for that one... ahem...

      Delete
    2. Maybe next time we're in Charlotte, we could actually make that happen.

      Delete