Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 24...

This was Justin's reaction to either my singing or guitar playing.
Not really. He's way too nice to be honest about it.
I recorded a Radiohead song for week 4. I thought I might do another one. I mean, it's been 20 weeks. That's enough time in between, right? 

When asked about your favorite Radiohead album, the cool and correct answer is OK Computer. More often than not, my answer is Hail to the Thief. I love that stinkin' record. Yeah, it is weird, but I'm down with that. "Where I End and You Begin" was the song on the record that stuck out to me the most. It's eerie, dark and chaotic. It drives all the way home. It is a song I can get lost within. 

I was hoping to do this song for week 4, but I knew I wanted to collaborate on it with an old friend of mine. He was unavailable the first go around, but not this time. Justin Huey turns whatever he touches to gold. From the time he was a teenager recording in my studio, to the times he played the late night talk show circuit with his band, Steel Train, he has been sharing his gift with the world. He is one of those musicians who does it all: guitar, bass, piano, voice, et cetera... You know, the kind of guy who makes you a little bit green with envy. So, it was an honor to do a little long distance collaboration with him. I sent him a very rough mix and away he went. He filled the canvas with colorful synths and piano. I love knowing that I never have to manage his ideas. He is always tasteful and solid, musically and personally. Funny story... My first copy of Hail to the Thief was a burned prerelease, given to me by none other than Justin. That is a good friend, right there. I bet he doesn't remember that. 

Let us know what you think, won't you?

Enjoy, 

Christopher

     Recorded June 9-11, 2012. Justin Huey recorded synth and piano at his home studio, then sent me the files. Listen closely for my sons, Lucas Grey and Christopher Avery showing off their counting skills early in the song. They made it all the way to seven. I'm a proud papa. 
"Where I End and You Begin" written by Colin Greenwood, Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien, Phil Selway and Thom Yorke. From the album Hail to the Thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment