Saturday, August 18, 2012

Week 32...

I call this my Paunchy Pigeon. Thanks
Jacob, for the nice work!
I am the Music Programming Director/Worship Leader at Ridge Church, in Matthews, NC. We are in the middle of a series called "When God?" It is all about the questions and doubts that arise when we feel God is being inattentive, uncooperative and/or late. We opened last week's service with a Nickel Creek song called "Doubting Thomas." My guitarist for the morning, Jacob Hare* tried to mess me up** by changing the title to "Doubting Tumnus." The song has nothing to do with Narnia, but it sure is pretty. I asked Jacob if he would play some guitar on it. In true twenty-twelve technological fashion, he recorded his parts at home, then Dropboxed them to me. Then, at the eleventh hour, literally, I asked my friend Nichole Broome, who sang with me last Sunday, to sing some harmony parts into her phone. No joke. I threw those vocals through some processors and mixed it down! It is pretty cool what you can do, nowadays.

Enjoy,
Christopher

PS... If you like it, tell a friend or an enemy. C'mon, do it!

     Recorded August 16-17, 2012. This song goes out to my friend Nicole Godshall, or Nikki G, for that time when we were riding in the car and I skipped a Nickel Creek song when it came on the shuffle. You got really mad at me. I hope this makes up for it! To everyone else, I am sorry for the delayed release. This has been a crazy week for us. It might get even crazier in the next few. 
     "Doubting Thomas" written by Chris Thile. From the record Why Should the Fire Die?

     * Jacob Hare makes some really sweet custom guitar pedals. I have been using one of his overdrive pedals for the past couple of months. I'm stoked about the tone, the look and the price! Up next, I'll be rockin' one of his compressors. Hit him up if you need anything. 
     *I've had some issues in the past where I have mixed up or replaced lyrics in songs. Here are a couple of examples. Once, I was singing a John Mark McMillan song called "How He Loves." I was supposed to sing the line, "I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory," but alas I sang, "I am unaware of these eclipsions affixed by glory." Yeah, one of those is not even a word. I don't think anyone noticed. Another time, I was doing a Matthew West song called "My Own Little World." The lyric was, "so I rolled down my window and I looked her in the eye." All week during rehearsal I sang, "so I rolled down my window and I poked her in the eye!" Seriously. Couldn't get it out of my head. I am the father of three boys, though. It only makes sense. My favorite was a song I had to learn for a wedding reception. It's a Kenny Chesney song called "Don't Blink." Yeah, I know. It's not my favorite either. Well, in each chorus of the song I was supposed to sing, "Don't blink. Just like that, you're six years old and you take a nap. Then you wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife." Of course, I sang, "Then you wake up and you're 25 and your high school TEACHER becomes your wife." Yeah, It happened... and it was awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment