Sunday, November 25, 2012

Week 41...

So, when I married Rachael, it was actually my second time around the block. My oldest boys are from my first marriage. My relationship with their mother was never easy. I didn't understand that at the time because it was all I had ever known. I don't think this is the place for sharing all of the gory details of how my first marriage fell apart. Just know that it exploded and shattered my entire world into thousands of tiny pieces. Some of it I glued and duct taped back together. Some parts had to be completely replaced. Some parts I never regained, and in most of those cases, it was a good thing. I hit the bottom and found out exactly what I was made of. I had never been so afraid to look at myself in the mirror. I had never been so afraid, period. 

I do know that I would not be the man, husband, father, leader or friend I am today, had I not gone through that pain. "Parable of the Broken Man" was written deep within the belly of my trials. You can hear that in the lyrics. Rachael doesn't like this song. She doesn't like remembering or thinking about things that scarred my heart.

I don't hold any grudges. It all worked out exactly how it was supposed to. I am thankful for it.

Today, my ex and I have a pretty great relationship with each other. My wife and my ex-wife have an even better relationship with each other. Crazy... I know. It has been a true blessing for everyone involved. We are all on the same team when it comes to the big boys. Every time my ex comes over, she loves on the three little ones as if she is family. 

If you had asked me twelve years ago how I thought my story would play out, I wouldn't have even come close to scripting this. I'm glad I'm not the one who is doing the writing. 

Enjoy, 
Christopher

     Daniel Owen played bass guitar. Kevin McClain and I tracked drums for a rerecording this song in 2009. It sat on a hard-drive, that I thought was dead, for a few years. A buddy of mine recently showed me how to retrieve all of my lost data! There was some good stuff on that joker. 
     "Parable of the Broken Man" will be a decade old in December, 2012. Wow. The original demo version had a super dancy outro part, complete with some sweet electronic drums. Due to the subject matter of the song, that part didn't make the cut for future versions performed by One Amazin' Kid

Lyrics

I'm waiting on the phone call
That says you're coming home 
With willing hands 
And a heart that won't give up on this again

So many things we've held precious
Were left here beside this open door
Now who is to own them
Without us, what can there be?

I'm waiting on the light
That once filled your eyes and heart with hope
But every time I reach
I am crushed beneath the weight of your words


So many things we've held precious
Were left here beside this open door
Now who is to own them
Without us, what can there be?

I know now what Hell is
I've felt it's touch
I've seen it devour the one I love
I've run into the fire
And come out empty handed
My heart is broken

Tonight, I will wait for you for the last time
Don't give up, don't let me down



2 comments: