Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Week 9...

Back in '05, Hem, an indie-folk rock band from New York City, was in heavy rotation at my house. I couldn't get enough of Sally Ellyson's voice. It is so hauntingly beautiful. Their music takes you to a place in time far from the jarring clamor of today. It's pristine and pure and never disappoints. 

Circa February 2006
At the time, my wife and I were dating. I was pulling out all the stops to try win her heart. I'd seen that Hem was playing a club called the Vinyl, in Atlanta. I thought it would be a fun day trip for the two of us. I purchased tickets online and we planned to go. As the show was approaching, I received a call from a friend of mine who booked shows for a local club. She said that she'd booked Hem, but couldn't think of any good local openers. She said, "I know it's not your type of music, but can you think of anyone who could fill the bill." I laughed and told her about my adoration for Hem. I offered for my band, One Amazin' Kid to open. She took it. 

So my sweetheart and I moseyed on down to Atlanta. We had a blast. We were at that point in the relationship where you can just ride and talk the entire time, with no music at all. I think they call that love, right? We went to the show and listened to their set. It was super solid. Afterward, we got to meet the band. I told Sally that we would see them just a few days later in Charlotte. She was beautiful, graceful and sweet. 

The show in Charlotte came around. After my band played, Sally stopped us to talk. She said, "You know, at first I was like, 'oh great, a #@$%ing rock band.' But then I heard you sing. It was great!" I was truly honored and humbled that those words would come from a voice that I admired so much. 

The song I chose for week 9 is called, "Oh No." It's from Hem's album, "No Word From Tom." I hope you enjoy it. 

Christopher

     Recorded on February 27, 2012. I think it's pretty cool that 52 is now what's considered a full length record. A FREE full length record, y'all. Tell some friends about it, won't ya?
     "Oh No," written by Dan Messé and Gary Maurer.

No comments:

Post a Comment