Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 10...

When I look back at my musical history, there is a certain point where I start to cringe. It's the place where I begin to say, "what was I thinking!?" I don't like to actually listen back to my early recordings. They are far too painful. I usually can't make it through an entire song.

Circa September 1997

I do, on the other hand, fondly remember those days. I remember buying my first guitar. All of the guys I had been playing with and learning from, played Fender Strats. And, of course, that's what I wanted and set out to purchase. I drove over to the old McFayden Music store on Independence Blvd. My salesman was a guy named Van Sachs. Little did I know, he is a well known guitar player here in Charlotte. He was very accommodating. He asked what I was interested in and I confusedly said, "a Telecaster, sir." Stratocaster... Telecaster... They sound the same, right? Well, they are not the same at all, nor do they sound the same. 

He would pick up a guitar and play it. Then he would hand it to me. I remember feeling so embarrassed to play in front of him. I had just started playing and only knew a few chords (not by name, but by finger position.) Alas, I fell head over heels for one. It was a slightly used, cream yellow, American Telecaster with a rosewood fretboard. I told Van I would have to think about the purchase and get back to him soon. Soon turned out to be the next day. I had to have her. She needed me and I needed her. I talked him down a little on the price and walked out the door with such excitement. 

I was stoked to show my friends my new obsession. When I did, I realized that I had bought a Telecaster, not a Stratocaster. What a huge mix up. I am pretty sure I felt stupid for about half of a second. Then, I started making music. Good times.

This week's song is from that era. I wrote "A Remembrance" in a time where everything was golden. I didn't know pain. I'd never met loneliness. I had only dreamt of love. It touches on the enduring question of, "can we go home again?" Looking back, it almost seems prophetic. With the trials I have endured in my life, I can reminisce and laugh at my former self. But maybe my former self knew what awaited me in the future. 

Enjoy, 

Christopher

     Recorded March 5-6. I hadn't played this song in a decade or so. My ring finger on my picking hand cramped up on me something fierce. 


This house seems small. The trees are shorter than I recall. I've still got the sap on my hands from back in the day. I will return to you. I will return to you. Chase like the wind. Without a fear inside my head, but that of death. And I am still a little scared, I admit. I will return to you. I will return. I'm so thankful for all that I've endured. And to my flesh and blood for all that I've become. If I could go back again, would I change all that's been? If I could go home tonight, would I make it all right? No, I would stay. I'd keep it all the same. I would stay. 

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.

    I think our younger selves do have an idea of what's before us. The only "home" I think we can ever really return to is the one we carry within us, the one that is us, the person we've always been underneath it all.

    Listening on repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those songs I have to always put on when I'm driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do me a favor and delete the old version. Gah! Insert this new version.

      Delete
  3. I always liked this one. I think I may start bootlegging the old old OAK stuff again, you know, just for old times' sake. And to annoy you. But seriously, I always liked this song.

    ReplyDelete