Friday, March 9, 2012

My Lion, My Prince...


My first-born is twelve years old today. Where has the time gone? I recall the day this picture was taken. It was a warm, sunny day. I was sitting on my patio while he played in the back yard. He had taken off his shoes and put on mine. He was sitting on a bucket, using a plastic shovel to dig in the dirt. The smudges on his face and those sweaty curls just begged for a snapshot.

Nowadays, he'd rather be playing with his iPhone or his skateboard. He is getting pretty good at running receiving routes. He's handsome and tender-hearted. He loves his little brothers and sisters, so well. He will be an amazing father. I take pride in that. I'm really hard on him, I know. But he is growing into a fine specimen. He is becoming his own person. I just cannot believe how far he has come; how big he is getting.

One night, when he was six, he was having trouble sleeping. I came into his room and talked to him. I told him that if he was scared, he could pray about it. I said he could ask Jesus to take away the things that he was afraid of. The next night, I stood at his door, to make sure he was sleeping. I could hear his little voice saying, "Please, Jesus. Please, Jesus." It continued and got more and more panicked. I entered the room and calmed him. I held and prayed over him. I'll never forget it.

The episode inspired my song, "Sacred Heart." It is a lullaby for my Lucas Grey. You can download the acoustic version for free! My favorite part of the song is the bridge. The lyrics are, "It's time to close your eyes and lay your head down. Precious child, we'll get through this. The terrible world sways at your movement. You can walk through it alone and unafraid. My lion, my prince... There's no comparison. So, don't you shed a tear, my son. There's a sacred heart that beats for you alone." Man, it made me tear up just typing it. 

If you didn't know it already, I love my boy. I am proud of the man he is becoming. Happy birthday, Lucas.

Enjoy, 

Christopher


1 comment: